Senior Research Fellow in Media Arts
CV Andrea Zapp
Andrea Zapp, FRSA, born in Germany, researches and teaches at Manchester School of Art and Fashion Institute. She is also an internationally exhibiting media artist and fashion designer. Her digital and design installations have been exhibited in media festivals, museums, and galleries across Europe, the USA, South America, Australia and Asia. Building on this expertise she focuses her practice and research on narrative digital imagery for fabric, textile and conceptual fashion design.
She is an elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.
In curriculum development she has pioneered and led the MA Media Lab as a multi-disciplinary student-led research community with external creative industry partners, has led the Professional Platforms in the MA Network and has been teaching across a broad spectrum of courses in the Media Department.
She currently researches into the future of fashion and technologies, investigating the potential of smart fabrics and e-textiles for design purposes and new visual production concepts in fabric design.
In 2014 she launched the fashion, media and design spin-out and research company - AZ.andreazapp, in which she uses her own photography for unique collection designs. www.andreazapp.com
She has edited books, published numerous articles and has curated international media arts exhibitions.
She supervises MA and PhD research.
She has an MA background in Film and Media Studies as well as Russian and French Literature and Language (Philipps University Marburg, Germany, 1990).
Full Research and Practice CV (after 2000)
Conceptual Fashion Design and Textiles (commercial and artistic)
- Captured around World - Bunka Costume Gallery, Bunka Gakuen, Tokyo, Feb/March 2016
- Inspired by Macclesfield: Paradise Mill - Macclesfield Silk Museum, June to Sept 2015
- Manchester Art Gallery, Sept 2014 to March 2015
- Third Skin: A Textile Media Sculpture - The LOFT at LOWER PAREL, Mumbai, India, Aug 18 to Sept 30, 2012 and at BO Concept Store Ahmedabad, India, Oct, 2012
- Between Heaven and Earth - Textile, Media and Embroidery Installation Five Years Gallery, London, June 27 to July 12, 2009
Commercial Limited Edition design and research collaborations
- Bespoke dress range for Manchester Art Gallery 2014
- Bespoke dress and accessories range for Macclesfield Silk Museum 2015
- Bespoke scarves accessories range for Whitworth Art Gallery Manchester, 2015
- Bespoke dress and accessories range for Marketing Manchester
- Bespoke scarves accessories range with British Antarctic Survey, BAS 2017
- North: Fashion, Photography and Identity; Artist’s Talk, Open Eye Gallery Liverpool, Feb 2017
- UKFT Fashion Mission, British Embassy Tokyo, Nov 2016
- Paris Fashion Week, Fashionscout, Oct 2015
- London Fashion Week/Scoop, Saatchi Gallery, Sept 2015
- Singapore Fashion Week, May 2015
- Selfridges Art Campaign, Jan/Feb 2015
- VOGUE Fashion's Night Out, Manchester, Oct 2013
- 13th. International Fashion Fair and Show, Shenzhen, China, July 2013
- UNESCO Heritage Festival, Cotton Exchange, Rajnagar Mills, Asarwa, Ahmedabad, India, April 2013
- Cultural Olympiad: Stories of the World: Cotton Exchange-Material Response Exhibition, Queen St Mill, Burnley, June/July 2012.
Media Arts and Design
- Eye 2 Eye - Networked Installation linking the University of Ekaterinburg with Okno Gallery/ University of Cheljabinsk, Russia, June 20 to 22, 2006, Commissioned and funded by Goethe-Institute Moscow
- The Imaginary Hotel - Networked installation. The Chapman Gallery, University of Salford, with Cornerhouse Manchester, Folly Media Centre Lancaster, Oct 9 to 31, 2002, funded by The Leverhulme Trust, ACE North West
- Tracing Home, Siggraph International Festival for Electronic Arts Exhibition, 2011, Vancouver, Aug 2011
- Campbell River Museum, Vancouver Island, BC, Sept 2011
- Analogue is the New Digital - An exhibition across the digital networks of Manchester, Oct 1 to 23, 2010
- Stowage - exhibition project in shop windows in Exeter’s West Quarter, UK, April/May, 2010
- 15th International Symposium on Electronic Art, ISEA, Art Exhibition, Golden Thread Gallery, Belfast, Aug 7 to Sept 6, 2009
- POI – Moving, Mapping, Memory, Cornerhouse Manchester, 2009
- The Kiss Of A Lifetime, Touring Exhibition, Rogue Project Space, Manchester, Vane, Northern Print Biennial Newcastle, Bearspace, London, Feb-Sept, 2009
- StoryRooms - Interactive Networks, Media Art and Installations, The Museum of Science and Industry, Manchester, Oct 11 to Jan 15, 2005/06
- Maschine-Raum, A Biennial on Video, Art and Culture; Museum of Contemporary Art, Veje, Denmark, Nov 8 to Dec 2, 2007
- The World is My Imagination, Media-Model-Miniature, International Media Art Exhibition, CUBE Gallery, Manchester, Sept 7 to Nov 3, 2007
- VAERK 04 - Changing Territories exhibition, Knabstrup Kulturfabrik, Denmark, June 19 to Aug 29, 2004
- MMU China Show, The Art Museum, Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts, Guangzhou, China, Nov 8 to 18, 2007
- Interval 06: Becoming Electric, Lower Turks Head, Manchester, Nov 25 to Dec 3, 2006
- 18th International Film Winter, Festival für Kurz- und Experimentalfilm und Medienkunst, Stuttgart, Germany, Jan 16 to Feb 20, 2005
- 4th Austrian Triennial of Photography, Graz, Austria, Jan 10 to Feb 28, 2003, Funded by Austrian Ministry of Culture, BKA, Vienna
- 32nd International Film Festival, Based Upon True Stories Exhibition, Rotterdam, Holland, Jan 22 to Feb 2, 2003
- FILE - International Festival of Electronic Language, Museum of Image and Sound, Sao Paulo City, Brazil, July 2001
- Moving Pictures - Photography and Film in Contemporary Art, 5. International Photo – Triennial, Villa Merkel, Esslingen, Germany, July 1 to Sept 30, 2001
- Sculpture Now! - Art, Performance and Technology, Pittsburgh Center for the Arts, USA, May to June 2001
- Update 2.0 - Current Media Art from Germany, International Traveling Exhibition, Center for Art and Media/ZKM, Karlsruhe and Goethe Institute Munich, Germany, 2000-04
- International Symposium on Electronic Arts, ISEA, Art Exhibition, Forum des Images, Paris, France, Dec 7 to 22, 2000
- Interférences, Festival International d'Arts Multimédia Urbain - Belfort, France, Nov 14 to 20, 2000
- Pro@Contra Net Art Show - Media Art Lab, Moscow, Russia, Aug 2000
- Art on the Net, Machida City Museum of Graphic Arts, Tokyo, Japan, Sept to Oct 2000
Grants and Awards:
- IFFTI Fellowship for Research and Teaching Residency at Bunka Gakuen Graduate Fashion University Tokyo
- UK Trade&Investment Fashion Export Grant
- Textile Alliance North West, Fashion Research and Development Grant
- UK Fashion and Textile Grant Paris Fashion Week
- MMU/KEIF Knowledge Exchange Enterprise
- MMU/MIRIAD Travel Grant
- MMU/MIRIAD Travel Grant
- MMU/MIRIAD Project Development and Travel Grant
- MMU/MIRIAD and AND Festival Grant
- Exhibition Grant from the Arts Council England North West
- Travel Grant from the Arts Council England North West
- Project Grant from the Goethe Institute Moscow
- Exhibition and Publication Grants from the Arts Council England North West
- Research Grant from the Arts and Humanities Research Council
- Small Grant from the Arts and Humanities Research Council
- Professional Development Grant from the Arts Council England North West
2002 to 2005
- Research Fellowship from the Arts and Humanities Research Council
- Project Grant from the Sektion Kunst, BKA (National Arts Council) Vienna, Austria
- Project Grant from The ACE/North West Arts Board
- Fellowship from The Leverhulme Trust, London
- First Prize Winner Knowledge Exchange Awards, MMU Manchester
- Prix Ars Electronica 2000, Interactive Arts Category (Honorary Mention) Upper Austrian Television ORF, Linz, Austria
- International Media Art Prize 2000 and 2001, SWR South West German Television/ZKM Centre for Art and Media /Baden-Baden/Karlsruhe, Germany
- Art on the Net 2000, Machida City Museum of Graphic Arts, Tokyo, Japan
External Research Leadership: Curatorship, publicly funded
- Analogue is the new Digital, Online exhibition, International Siggraph Digital Arts
Community, DAC, Los Angeles, USA, Sept/Oct 2011
- Analogue is the new Digital, Group exhibition across the digital networks of Manchester, Oct 2010
- POI: Moving, Mapping, Memory, International Exhibition on Media Arts, Cornerhouse Manchester, June 2009
- The World is My Imagination: Media, Model, Miniature, International Exhibition on Media Arts, CUBE Gallery, Manchester, Sept to Nov 2007
- StoryRooms, International Exhibition on Media Arts and Networking, The Museum of Science and Industry, Manchester, Oct 2005 to Jan 2006
- Networked Narrative Environments, International Research Conference, Foundation for Art and Creative Technology, FACT, Liverpool, May 23, 2003
Collaborative Research Output
- The Glockenspiel, environmental kinetic and data sculpture for the MMU Art School building, leading a group of staff and students
- Unheimlich - networked telematic theatre performance visually linking actors and audiences together, between Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, USA, and University of Salford, Manchester, for the International Performance Studies Conference, March 31, 2005, at Brown University and between ACM Siggraph Computer Graphics Conference, Art Exhibition, Boston, and Brunel University, July 2006. In collaboration with Steve Dixon, Brunel University, Paul Sermon and Mathias Fuchs, University of Salford
- Viaje a través de la mascara, international Internet art project and research group, initiated by Professor Margarita Schultz, Department of Visual Arts, Santiago de Chile, Universidad de Chile, 2005, DVD Publication
List of Publications and Research Output
Books, ed.: single authored
- Networked Narrative Environments as Imaginary Spaces of Being, Manchester: Manchester Metropolitan University/Liverpool: Foundation for Art and Creative Technology, FACT, 2004, ISBN 1900756242
Books, ed.: co-authored
- New Screen Media: Cinema/Art/Narrative (Book and DVD), with Martin Rieser, London:The British Film Institute, BFI Publishing, Karlsruhe: Center for Art and Media, ZKM, Germany, 2000/2002, ISBN 0851708641
DVDs: single authored
- StoryRooms, International Exhibition on Media Arts and Networking, Documentation and Essay-Booklet, Manchester:Zapp!Media, 2006, ISBN 1900756307
Chapters in books: single authored
- 'A Fracture in Reality': Networked Narratives as Imaginary Fields of Action and Dislocation, in: Martin Rieser, (ed.), Mobile Audience, Media Art and Mobile Technologies, Amsterdam/New York: Rodopi, 2011, pp 181-192.
- For We are Where We are not: Mixed-Reality Narratives and Networked Installation Interfaces, in: Susanne Knaller (ed.), Realitätskonstruktionen in der zeitgenössischen Kultur. Beiträge zu Literatur, Kunst, Fotografie, Film und zum Alltagsleben. Vienna: Böhlau Verlag, Austria, 2008, pp. 174-181
- and in: Chris Meigh-Andrews, Aneta Krzemien (eds.), Digital Aesthetic 2, Preston: University of Central Lancashire, Electronic and Digital Art Unit, 2008, pp. 78-82
- Imaginary Spaces: User Participation in Networked Narratives, in: James Lyons, John Plunkett, (eds.), Multimedia Histories. From the Magic Lantern to the Internet, Exeter: University of Exeter Press, 2007, pp. 163-176
- Live - A User's Manual, in: Susanne Knaller, Harro Mueller (eds.), Authentizitaet, Kuenstlerische Skizzen zur Ambivalenz von Webcam und Wirklichkeit, Paderborn: Fink Verlag, Germany, 2006, pp. 316-330
- Vernetzte Installationskunst: Fluechtige Begegnungen und imaginaere Handlungsraeume, in: Monika Fleischmann, Ulrike Reinhard (eds.), Digitale Transformationen, Heidelberg: Who is Verlag, Germany, 2005, pp. 147-150
- Vernetzte Erzaehlstrategien – medienkuenstlerische Praxis als analytisches Gedankenspiel, in: Mathias Steinle (ed.), Selbst/Reflexionen, Von der Leinwand bis zum Interface, Marburg: Schueren Verlag, Germany, 2004, pp. 198-211
- A Fracture in Reality. Networked Naratives as Imaginary Fields of Action, in: Andrea Zapp (ed.), Networked Narrative Environments as Imaginary Spaces of Being, Manchester: Manchester Metropolitan University/Liverpool: Foundation for Art and Creative Technology, FACT, 2004, pp. 62-81
- A Sense of Weightlessness, in: Galina Dimitrova, Anneke Pettican, Steve Symons (eds.): Urban Cycles, Manchester: i3 Publications, 2003, pp. 42-50
- net.drama://myth/mimesis/mind_mapping, in: Martin Rieser, Andrea Zapp (eds.), New Screen Media: Cinema/Art/Narrative, London:The British Film Institute, BFI, Karlsruhe/Germany: Center for Art and Media, ZKM, 2002, pp. 77-89
- George Legrady's Slippery Traces - Elusive Tracks and Mise en Scène, in: Center for Art and Media, ZKM, (ed.), The Complete Artintact, Ostfildern: Hatje Cantz Verlag, Germany, 2002, pp. 95-99
- Private Views - the viewer’s role in networked digital models of narration, in: Jorge La Ferla (ed.): De la Pantalla al Arte Transgénico, Buenos Aires: Libros Del Rojas Universidad Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2000, pp. 186-192
Exhibition Catalogues: Chapters single authored
- Interpretation, in: A Fine Line (ed.) Cotton Exchange, Manchester: CXMR-AFL Publications, 2014, pp. 12-13
- Human Avatars, in: Maschine-Raum, A Biennial on Video, Art and Culture, Veje: Center for Experimental Art, Denmark, 2007, pp. 56-57
- 05 March, 10:43 pm, in: VAERK 04 - Changing Territories, Henrik M. Andersen (ed.), Vestsjaellands: Knapstrup Kulturfabrik, Denmark, 2006, pp. 17-18
- The Imaginary Hotel: Grazer Zimmer, in: Werner Fenz (ed.), Insight Seeing, 4th Austrian Triennial of Photography, Graz: Fotohof Edition, Austria, 2003, pp. 64-69
- Networked Narratives as Spaces of Imagination, in: M.A.P. Case Study. 02, Krassimir Terziev (ed.), Sofia: Interspace Media Art Center, Bulgaria, 2002, pp. 26-28
- Last Entry: No User - No Project, in: Leipziger Jahresausstellung (ed.):
Exhibition Catalogues: Chapters co-authored
- A Body of Water, with Paul Sermon, in: Söke Dinkla, Christoph Brockhaus (eds.): Connected Cities - Processes of Art in the Urban Network, Ostfildern: Hatje Cantz Verlag, Germany, 1999, pp. 202-211
- A Body of Water, with Paul Sermon, in: Christine Schöpf, Hannes Leopoldseder (eds.): Cyberarts 2000, International Compendium Prix Ars Electronica, Vienna: Springer Verlag, Austria, 2000, pp. 106-107
Papers/articles in refereed journals
- Installation Interfaces und Design Sketches, in: Medienimpulse, Beitraege zur Medienpaedagogik, University of Innsbruck, Austria, 2014
- Third Skin, in: Leonardo, Journal of The International Society for the Arts, Science and Technology, Vol. 44, No. 4, Cambridge/MA: MIT Press, 2011, pp. 380–381
- Google Gaze, in: 15th Internat. Symposium on Electronic Art, ISEA, Proceedings, Belfast, 2009, p. 50
- Works-in-Progress – User Participation in Online Installations, in: A Minima, Publication de Arte Actual, Volume 10 – New Media, Oviedo, Spain, 2005, pp. 56-73
- Networked Dramatic Environments, in: 11th Internat. Symposium on Electronic Art, ISEA, Proceedings, Nagoya, Japan, 2002, p. 184
DVDs, CD-ROMs: Chapters/Art Works single authored
- StoryRooms, International Exhibition on Media Arts and Networking, Manchester: Zapp Media, 2006
- Viaje a través de la mascara. Encuesta, ensayos teóricos sobre arte colaborativo en Internet, obras de artistas de América y Europa, International Collaborative Internet Art Project and Research Group, Santiago de Chile: Universidad de Chile, 2005
- cITy, International Media Art Award, Karlsruhe: SWR Television/Center for Art and Media, ZKM, Germany, 2000
- Internet 2000 Conference, Moscow: Goethe-Institute/Lomonossov University, Russia, 2000
Refereed Papers and Keynotes presented to Conferences
- REWIRE, International Media Arts Histories Conference, Liverpool, Sept 2011
- Olhares De Outono, 10th International Festival and Conference on Digital Arts, Universidade Católica Portuguesa, Porto, Portugal, 2009
- Disrupting Narratives Symposium,Tate Modern, London, 2007
- Digital Aesthetic 2 Conference, University of Central Lancashire, Preston, 2007
- ACM Siggraph Computer Graphics Conference/Networked Performance: How Does Art Affect Technology and Vice Versa, Los Angeles, USA, 2005
- Data-Difference: The Dissolution of Locale, Conference, Biennial of Electronic Arts BEAP, Curtin University, Perth, Australia, 2004
- Annual Jillian Bradshaw Memorial Lecture, Curtin University, Perth, Australia, 2004
- Multimedia Histories Conference/From The Magic Lantern to the Internet, AHRC Centre for British Film and Television Studies, and Bill Douglas Centre, University of Exeter, 2003
- International Symposium on Electronic Arts, ISEA, Nagoya, Japan, 2002
Invited Panel Speaker:
- Sensual Technologies, Institute of Contemporary Art, ICA, in collaboration with School of Media and Performance, Brunel University, London, 2008
- Tecnologías Interactivas para el Arte: software libre, video streaming y archivos online, Summer Art Academy, Universidad del País Vasco, Bilbao, Spain, 2007
- Realitätskonstruktionen, Kunstverein and University of Graz, Austria, 2006
- Fused Space Symposium, Jan van Eyck Design Academy/Stroom Media Centre, The Hague, Netherlands, 2005
- Remixing Realities with Narrative Media, Universidad Internacional de Andalucia, Arte y Pensamiento, Seville, Spain, 2004
- Research Conference North West, Liverpool John Moores University, 2004
- Opening Conference of the Sonic Arts Research Centre, Queens University, Belfast, 2004
- M.A.P. Case Study. 02, Sofia Art Gallery, Bulgaria, 2002
- CIRCUS 2001: New Synergies in Digital Creativity, Content Integrated Research in Creative User Systems, Glasgow, 2001
- Docs Online Conference, Documentary Film Festival Amsterdam, 2001
- KIMAF - Kiev International Media Art Festival, Ukraine, 2001
- Muestra Euroamericana de Video y Arte Digital, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2000
- MultiMedia Writing, Napier University, Edinburgh, 2000
- Media Congress Moscow: Internet, Goethe-Institute Moscow/Lomonossov University, Russia, 2000
Research Presentations: Individual Public Guest Lectures
- Inspirer Series, Manchester Metropolitan University, 2016
- Leeds Metropolitan University, School of Contemporary Art & Graphic Design, 2006
- School of Media Arts and Imaging, Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design/Contemporary Arts Cinema, Dundee, Scotland, 2005
- Curtin University of Technology and Central TAFE Institute, Perth, Australia, 2004
- University of Lancaster, Theatre and Performance Studies, 2004
- Hull Time Based Art Centre, Hull, 2003
- Arts Reverie, Textiles Art&Craft, Nat. Institute of Design NID, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India, Feb 2012
- Okno Gallery, University of Cheljabinsk, Siberia, May 2006
As visiting artist at international Goethe Institutes incl. keynotes at local Universities and cultural institutions:
Moscow, Cheljabinsk, Russia, 2006 / Cairo, Egypt, 2004 / Cheljabinsk, Ekaterinburg, Perm, Nishnij Novgorod and Moscow, Russia, 2002 / Kiev, Ukraine, 2001 / Santiago de Chile / Montevideo, Uruguay / Cordoba and Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2000
- Universidad del País Vasco, Bilbao, Spain, July 2007
- Universidad Internacional de Andalucia, Arte y Pensamiento, Seville, Spain, May 2004
- Academy of Arts, Arteleku, San Sebastian, Spain, Aug 1995
Liverpool John Moores University, 2003 – 2005
AZ.andreazapp is a womenswear and accessories fashion brand that is built on Zapp’s distinct photography. Details…
This exhibition showcased artefacts, garments, custom-made dress stand sculptures, design prints and screenings of Zapp's research into photography inspired fabric and fashion design. It further included bespoke garment making and limited edition outputs that had been developed with commissioning museum partners in the public creative sector in the UK. Details…
Third Skin captures imagery of our social, digital or urban neighborhoods and interiors and transfers them to fabric and dress design. Hence playing with Marshall McLuhan's idea of "clothing being an extension of skin, in the way that media are an extension of the body". Details…
Paradise Mill - Inspired by Macclesfield This solo exhibition was commissioned by the Silk Museum in Macclesfield and took place from the 19th of June to Saturday the 5th September 2015. It showed new work comprising of 3 bespoke dress designs and large-scale design prints of additional 10 garments of the same narrative. Details…
A “Textile Media” Triptychon through which I look at the Internet and its social networks by employing more traditional artistic styles and craft. It reflects our existence in between a physical and digital world by interweaving off- and online spaces. Details…
Telematic Theatre Performance in collaboration with Steve Dixon, Mathias Fuchs and Paul Sermon, networking actors and audiences between The University of Salford and Brown University Providence, Rhode Island USA. Premiered at the Performance Studies International Conference, March 31, 2005. Details…
Andrea Zapp is a member of:
A selection of recent research outputs.
Zapp, A., 2016. Captured around The World, Bunka Costume Gallery Tokyo, Feb/March.
Zapp, A., 2016. Captured around the World - Solo Fashion Exhibition, Bunka Gakuen University and Costume Gallery, Tokyo, 2016.
Zapp, A., 2015. London Fashion Week, Scoop, Saatchi Gallery, September 2015.
Zapp, A., 2015. Paradise Mill, Silk Museum Macclesfield, June to September.
Zapp, A., 2015. Paris Fashion Week, Fashion Scout, October 2015.
Zapp, A., 2014. Captured around the World, Manchester Art Gallery, 10/2014 - 3/2015.
Zapp, A., 2005. StoryRooms (Exhibition DVD), Museum of Science and Industry, October 2005 - January 2006.
Zapp, A., 1996. AZandreazapp, Manchester Art Gallery and international.
Zapp, A., 1996. Inspired by Macclesfield, Silk Museum Macclesfield and International.
Zapp, A., 2014. 'Media and Textile Design meets Science'.
Zapp, A., 2014. 'Textile Media Narrative'.
Zapp, A., 2004. 'Networked Narrative Environments as Imaginary Spaces of Being', Manchester: Manchester Metropolitan University/Liverpool: Foundation for Art and Creative Technology, FACT.
Zapp, A., 2004. 'Networked Narrative Environments as Imaginary Spaces of Being', Cornerhouse Publications.
Rieser, M., Zapp, A., 2002. 'The New Screen Media: Cinema/art/narrative', British Film Inst.
Zapp, A., 2017. 'Conceptual Fashion and Media Research as site-specific Narratives'. In IASDR 2017 Conference Proceedings, IASDR.
Zapp, A., 2016. 'AZ. Fashion Label profile'. In The Revival of the UK Textile Industry: Case Studies from the NBrown, National Textiles Growth Programme, NBrown, National Textiles Growth Programme.
Zapp, A., 2014. 'Interpretations'. In A Fine Line (ed.) Cotton Exchange, Manchester, AFL Publications.
Zapp, A., 2011. 'A Fracture in Reality': Networked Narratives as Imaginary Fields of Action and Dislocation,'. In Rieser, M. (eds.) Mobile Audience, Media Art and Mobile Technologies, pp. 181-192, Rodopi, Amsterdam / New York.
Zapp, A., 2008. 'For We are Where We are not: Mixed-Reality Narratives and Networked Installation Interfaces'. In Knaller, S. (eds.) Realitätskonstruktionen in der zeitgenössischen Kultur. Beiträge zu Literatur, Kunst, Fotografie, Film und zum Alltagsleben, pp. 174-181, Böhlau Verlag, Vienna.
Zapp, A., 2008. 'For We are Where We are not: Mixed-Reality Narratives and Networked Installation Interfaces'. In Meigh-Andrews, C., Krzemien, A. (eds.) Digital Aesthetic 2, pp. 78-82, UCLan, Preston.
Zapp, A., 2007. 'Imaginary Spaces: User Participation in Networked Narratives'. In Plunkett, J. (eds.) Multimedia Histories. From the Magic Lantern to the Internet,, pp. 163-176, University of Exeter Press, Exeter.
Zapp, A., 2006. 'Live - A User's Manual'. In Mueller, H. (eds.) Authentizitaet, Kuenstlerische Skizzen zur Ambivalenz von Webcam und Wirklichkeit, pp. 316-330, Paderborn: Fink Verlag, Germany.
Zapp, A., 2005. 'Vernetzte Installationskunst: Fluechtige Begegnungen und imaginaere Handlungsraeume'. In Fleischmann, M., Reihard, U. (eds.) Digitale Transformationen,, pp. 147-150, Who is Verlag, Heidelberg: Germany.
Zapp, A., 2004. 'A Fracture in Reality. Networked Naratives as Imaginary Fields of Action'. In Zapp, A. (eds.) Networked Narrative Environments as Imaginary Spaces of Being,, pp. 62-81, FACT, Liverpool.
Zapp, A., 2004. 'Vernetzte Erzaehlstrategien - medienkuenstlerische Praxis als analytisches Gedankenspiel'. In Steinle, M. (eds.) Selbst/Reflexionen, Von der Leinwand bis zum Interface,, pp. 198-211, Marburg: Schueren Verlag, Germany.
Zapp, A., 2003. 'A Sense of Weightlessness'. In Dimitrova, G., Peiitcan, A., Symons, S. (eds.) Urban Cycles, pp. 42-50, i3 Publications, Manchester.
Zapp, A., 2002. 'George Legrady's Slippery Traces - Elusive Tracks and Mise en Scène'. In The Complete Artintact,, pp. 95-99, Ostfildern: Hatje Cantz Verlag, Germany.
Zapp, A., 2002. 'net.drama://myth/mimesis/mind_mapping'. In Zapp, A., Rieser, M. (eds.) New Screen Media: Cinema/Art/Narrative, pp. 77-89, The British Film Institute / Karlsruhe, London / Germany.
Zapp, A., 2000. 'Private Views - the viewer's role in networked digital models of narration,'. In La Ferla, J. (eds.) De la Pantalla al Arte Transgénico, Buenos Aires, pp. 186-192, Libros Del Rojas Universidad Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Zapp, A., 1998. 'The Scenario Project'. In Stals, JL. (eds.) Tecnologia y Disidencia Cultural, Technology and Cultural Dissidence, pp. 102-103, San Sebastian: Diputacion Foral de Gipuzkoa,, Spain.
Zapp, A., 1996. 'See You Online!'. In Schorb, B., Schell, F. (eds.) Jugend auf dem Datahighway, pp. 62-68.
Zapp, A., 1993. 'Auf dem Weg zu einer neuen Mediensprache, On the Way to a New Media Language'. In Dotzler, G. (eds.) Computer Art Faszination, Dr. Dotzler Medien Institut, Germany.
Zapp, A., 2014. 'Installation Interfaces und Design Sketches', Medienimpulse, Beitraege zur Medienpaedagogik,.
Zapp, A., 2011. 'Third skin', Leonardo, 44 (4), pp. 380-381.
Zapp, A., 2005. 'Works-in-Progress - User Participation in Online Installations', A Minima, Publication de Arte Actual, 10, pp. 56-73.
Zapp, A., 1997. 'Last Entry: Bombay...,', Leonardo, Journal of The International Society for the Arts, Science and Technology, 30 (5).
Zapp, A., 1996. 'Project ICC: Telematic Art and the Cartesian Body, A conversation between Paul Sermon, Andrea Zapp and Itoh Toshiharu', Intercommunication Center NCC, 16, pp. 46-51.
Zapp, A., 2011. 'Third skin', in ACM SIGGRAPH 2011 Art Gallery, SIGGRAPH'11, pp. 380-381.
Zapp, A., 2009. 'Google Gaze', International Symposium on Electronic Art, Belfast, 23/8/2009 - 1/9/2009, in ISEA Proceedings.
Zapp, A., 2002. 'Networked Dramatic Environments', 11th International Symposium on Electronic Arts, Nagoya, 27/10/2002 - 31/10/2002, in ISEA Proceedings, 11.
Zapp, A., 1997. 'In Search for the Cyber Heroes', Short Film Festival, Oberhausen, 1/5/1997 - 5/5/1997, in Festival Catalogue, pp. 56-58.
Zapp, A., 1996. 'The Metaphor of Touch - Identification, Personality and Contact within the Screen', 6th International Symposia on Electronic Art, Montreal, Canada, in ISEA Proceedings, 6, pp. 322-324.
Zapp, A., 2017. 'Conceptual Fashion and Media Research as site-specific Narratives', International Design Conference IASDR, University of Cincinnati.