Media Research Hub
The Media Research Hub is an implicitly interdisciplinary group that supports staff from a wide range of disciplinary fields including — film, video, robotic and sound installation, Film and Media Studies, Filmmaking, Interactive Arts and Creative Multimedia.
- Duration and temporality of the 'still' image
- Sensorial and bodily experience of photography
- Filmmaking materiality in photographic and film practices
- New technologies and the material culture of archives
- Geomedia, mapping and movement in contemporary art and visual culture
- Women in comics and subcultural identities
- National identity through film and popular culture
- Graphic novel and the comic strip
- Horror Cinema in Europe
- Artists and the media
- Photography and objecthood
- Embodiment in film documentary
- Interstices between discursive spaces
- rituals around documentary and portrait photography
- History, memory, and psychological relationship with place
- How the performative process impacts on the interpretation of the artefact in film and/or photography
- Narratives of the domestic in photography and artist book practices
- Bestial metaphor within children's literature
- Multi-sensory and multimodal perception
- Speculative Realism, speculative materialism and object-oriented philosophy
- Repurposing visual, sonic and haptic technologies
- Sound and unsound theory, installation and process
- Wearable technologies and ubiquitous computing
Installation, screening and panel discussion at the Tate Britain.
Edited collection with Mel Gibson (University of Northumbria) and David Huxley (MMU).
Essays on Film, Television, Literature and Video Games by Joan Ormrod (2015)
Edited collection with Matthew Jones (De Montfort University)
Participation in a week long artist's residency.
Forensic, photographic collage for Finding Treblinka project, commissioned by Centre for Archaeology, Staffordshire University, and funded by Rothschild Foundation.
Interactive robotic installation
Research Hub Leader
- Dr Jenny Baines
- Chris Daniels
Faculty Head of Education and Professor of Media and Creative Industries
- Loran Dunn
- Dr Kirsty Fairclough
Head of School of Digital Arts (SODA)
- Dr Jenny Holt
Programme Leader, Filmmaking
- Sarah Howe
- David Jackson
- Johnny Magee
Academic Lead for Recruitment and Admissions, Arts & Humanities
- Dr David Penny
- Mark Thomas
Exhibitions & Publications
Alleyne, M., Fairclough, K., 2020. 'Prince and Popular Music Critical Perspectives on an Interdisciplinary Life', Bloomsbury Publishing USA.
Baines, J., Haut, B., 2021. 'Misbehaving Materials'. In Film Talks 15 Conversations on Experimental Cinema.
Faulkner, S., Guy, H., Vis, F., 2021. 'Right-wing populism, visual disinformation, and Brexit: From the UKIP 'Breaking Point' poster to the aftermath of the London Westminster bridge attack'. In The Routledge Companion to Media Disinformation and Populism, pp. 198-208, Routledge.
Fairclough, K., 2020. 'Rare Bird: Susan Rogers, Prince and Gendered Music Production.'. In Gender in Music Production, CRC Press.
Dunn, L., 2021. 'Underrepresented Voices in Cinema & Creative Producing // A Deal With The Universe'.
Holt, J., 2020. 'The Great Bear'.
Faulkner, S., Vis, F., Guy, H., 2020. 'Verifying and questioning images.', https://datajournalism.com/read/handbook/verification-3/investigating-actors-content/5-verifying-and-questioning-images.
Jackson, D., Latham, A., 2022. 'Talk to The Ghost: The Storybox methodology for faster development of storytelling chatbots', Expert Systems with Applications, 190, pp. 116223-116223.
Courneya, M., Jackson, D., McKinley, R., 2022. 'Talking with a Virtual Human: Transdisciplinary Design Considerations for Speech-based Interaction in the Audience with a Hero Project', Leonardo Electronic Almanac, 23 (1).
Brannon, L., Gold, L., Magee, J., Walton, G., 2022. 'The Potential of Interactivity and Gamification Within Immersive Journalism & Interactive Documentary (I-Docs) to Explore Climate Change Literacy and Inoculate Against Misinformation', Journalism Practice, 16 (2-3), pp. 334-364.
Holt, J., 2021. 'Designing filmmaking: Shaping first-year curriculum for transition, progression and effective collaboration', Art, Design & Communication in Higher Education, 20 (2), pp. 185-200.
Holt, J., 2021. ''Rainforest restoration in the Scottish Highlands: practice-led film research', eco-media lll, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia.
Holt, J., 2021. 'Audio-visual criticality: video essay as a tool to address diverse educational needs of filmmaking students', Media Education Summit, University of Leeds.
Holt, J., Baron, R., 2021. 'Imagined Village: a virtual creative collaboration between film students in the UK and the USA', GLAD Higher Education conference: Responding-Reframing-Rethinking, Nottingham Trent University.
Holt, J., 2020. 'New narratives of labour and landscape in rural Northamptonshire: The Great Bear', Art and the Rural Imagination Conference, Arts University Bournemouth.
Holt, J., 2020. 'The Great Bear and research in farming poetics', Working Together symposium on artistic research, Swedish Research Council, Stockholm.
Sibley, J., Fairclough, K., 2022. 'Digital Events Academy - A music venues' pivot to digital: A story of music, collaboration and learning during the global pandemic', Manchester.
Penny, D., 2021. 'A Fallen Line of Marble Drums'.
Penny, D., 2021. 'Whetstone'.